Friday, February 13, 2015

The Maid

I love working for her, I do! She’s the best mistress I have had, a real lady. She is so good to me, and my little one. Plays with him, buys him things - she don’t have to do that, you know, don’t even have to let him in her apartment, most ladies don’t. But as soon as she found out I had him, she told me to bring him, not to leave him with my ma. She plays with him sometimes, got that kitten for him. Nice of her, weren’t it?
My hours are quite long when she is in town which is  springtime, and autumn. Summertime she is off gallivanting to the South, to the beach, and in the winter, off she goes skiing to the mountains, and to them fancy parties she gets invites to. We seem to spend most of autumn getting her frocks turned and new ones made, visits to the dressmakers, the glove maker and the milliner - not to mention her other little necessaries, perfume, shoes, lingerie. You have never seen such lovely things! She just smiles a funny little smile and packs them away in that big trunk of hers - as if thinking of future pleasures.
Even when she is here in town, off she goes to weekends in the country, or on trips with her gentlemen. She is always very happy when she gets to go on some boat or other - gets in a right state choosing her bathing suits. She makes me laugh, she does - so much stuff she has to take for just two night away. Still, I suppose she always has to look her very best, or they might not want her no more, poor girl.
I reckon her life is as hard as mine - she’s got to look lovely all the time, even at home. Round they come, sniffing like a pack of wolves,howling on her doorstep almost, bringing her all manner of fancy bits and bobs - she won’t allow me to let them in, but makes them hand the presents to me, through the door. For that, she lets them catch a glimpse of her in one of them lovely floaty things she has. Most of the presents she gives away - all the chocolates to me and my boy and the champagne she gets me to share with her - my poor head, some mornings! But my mistress - she  has to smile all the time, to everyone,no matter what. It’s her job, isn’t it, to be lovely and charming?

I wouldn’t leave her, my poor lady, I think she needs me here to keep her safe and make sure she eats - I stand over her and make her, like I do with my boy. Waste away she would, without me - you can’t live on cigarettes, black coffee and champagne. I make her take naps too - same as the boy - she just looks so weary, so tired. No, I wouldn’t want her life, not for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you.